Food and Wine have always been closely linked to Italian Culture and Art! Savethe dates and join this program to discover and taste the great food and wines ofItaly. This is a culinary voyage which will include outstanding food writing andfood styling and food photography taught by an exceptional faculty. Tuscany is the regional focus of the trip. You’ll learn the cultural rules of foodconsumption, the comparison with the rules of music, dancing and poetry, the relationships between food and religion, gender, tradition, art, lifestyle. You’ll meet chefs, sommeliers and at the same time, you’ll experience the beautiful artworks and landscape of Tuscany!
Dates: July 16th through July 24th, 2011
– Arrival in Florence, students will be picked-up and escorted to hotel. Housing check-in. Welcome dinner.
– Orientation and Program Overview: “Food Landscape of Italy”
– Architectural Walking tour of the Renaissance Center of Florence and visit to the internal part of the Duomo and Baptistery.
– Lecture & Workshop – Regional cuisine, Tuscany and its summer specialties. The workshop will include an introduction to the food styling and plate design, will be followed and combined with the Food Photography class.
– The participant’s styled plates will be used to collect photographic materials for the final Food Writing and Photography project.
– Workshop on Food Photography I: The basics of photography: camera settings (white balance, file quality, ISO speed, manual and automatic mode, lightmeter)
– Basic tips for lighting and food shooting. Artificial light: tungsten. Processing, presentation and print: photo editing and post production.
– Food Writing Workshop I: Regional Cuisine
– Visit to San Lorenzo Fresh Food Market, the central produce market where the reshest ingredients are available. The top floor houses all of the finest fresh fruits and vegetable, while the ground floor displays a variety of meats, fish, cheese and bread.
– Workshop on Food Photography II: Practical work with natural or artificial lightin a kitchen. Shooting the chef in action at GANZO (basics of portrait photography).
– Food Writing Workshop II: Gastronomy
– Lecture & Workshop: “Olive Oil in Tuscan Cuisine”, differences and usage of Olive Oil in the Culture and Diet.
– The workshop will include a food styling andplate design and will be used also to collect photographic materials for the final Food Writing and Photography project.
– Workshop on Food Photography III: Food styling. Tips, tricks and props to improve the shooting.
– Lecture and Workshop: Wines of Italy, an introduction to the art of pairing food and wine.
– Workshop on Food Photography III: An introduction to wine and spirits Photography.
– Food Writing Workshop III: Wine
– Lecture and Cooking Class
– Italian cuisine and the Mediterranean, exploration ofthe Italian cuisine as a part of the Mediterranean culinary culture. The workshop will include food styling and plate design and will be used also to collect photographic materials for the final Food Writing and Photography project.
– Lecture and final review on Food Writing and Photography. An Introduction tographic layout.
– Field Trip to Casamonti and Farewell dinner
Day 9: Departure from Florence
Cost: USD $1.980
Accommodation: Hotel Option:USD 700-(Single Rooms supplement USD 370)
Program cost includes: Orientation session, Information/Orientation folder, Educational excursions and transcripts, Student Services, Extra curricular activities, Lab fees, Listed Visits (including entrance fees and reservation), Licensed Art History Guide and/or Program Coordinator/Professor escorting during visits and field trips, Transportation with Private Bus or Train during field trips (as listed on day by day program), Airport Pick-up and upon Arrival and drop off on Departure, Cell phones (outgoing calls will be charged individually), Free Internet Access in School facilities in Florence, Free access to the Gym, Meals listed in the day by day calendar, on field trip if listed and after the cooking classes, Special Dinners & Lunch.
To register and for more information: